Sunday, May 7, 2023

Linux Simple Overview, Desktop, Menus, Memory Usage

This post is now a little outdated, but should be good for a general guide and overall picture of these Linux Distributions. It is about seven Linux Distributions, memory used when first booted, number of applications in the default menu, startup and shutdown, and Snap packages too. Also mentioned are a few snags you may have when using KDE, or installing a second Ubuntu distribution.

Contrary to popular thought, the memory used between several distributions with different Desktop configurations is relatively minor for newer computers. The biggest differences are really the number of menu entries in each of the distributions.

I mention Snap packages, because they are either loved or hated by users. Loved because everything is configured and dependencies are included. Hated because Snap Packages can not be modified by the user. You get what the maker of the Snap Package deemed proper, nothing more, nothing less.

I tried an Ubuntu Child which did not install Snap packages until, surprise - a later general upgrade. I was not a happy camper. One of the packages was my web browser, which I sync with a few other computers both Linux and Windows. The Windows Firefox looked horrible after sync, so I changed the settings to improve its looks. When I used my other devices the web browser looked horrible on them. Snap packages are not my cup of tea.

In that regard, everything Ubuntu or created from Ubuntu, with the exception of Linux Mint (as far as I am aware) installs snap packages at some point. If you are okay with Snap, Ubuntu is great. If Snap Packaging interferes with your settings and usage, you may want to rethink your choice of Linux Distribution, or spend your time removing Snap Packages and installing from the web sites.

If you wish to add a second distribution on your computer, and your first Distribution is a flavor of Ubuntu or derived from Ubuntu, Grub is not going to be happy. All the Ubuntu derivatives I have tried are identified as “Ubuntu” in Grub.

Grub, in my experience, will not create two Ubuntu entries. What I have experienced is one of the Ubuntu Installs loses it's Grub entry, therefore seems to lose its ability to be booted using Grub.

My main go to Linux is MX Linux which is based on Debian 11 Bullseye. I use the XFCE Desktop which makes a slight difference on memory used as it requires a little less memory.

Ditto for Endeavor OS. Linux Mint Distribution uses Cinnamon Desktop, KDE anything of course uses KDE Desktop. I prefer XFCE for the right click menu option anywhere on the screen.

KDE if you are not aware of it, is a little different in some important respects than XFCE or Cinnamon Desktops. KDE Desktop is KDE centered, and may not run some non KDE programs.

While XFCE and Cinnamon Desktops will run KDE applications. I have never experienced problems with KDE apps, or apps from other Desktops in XFCE or Cinnamon Desktop. Take that comment for what it is worth.

This may have changed since I last time I used KDE, but in general. If your data is stored in KDE applications, they may not export to a format you want to export your data to. It does not feel like an issue in the beginning, but rears its ugly head down the road when you have a lot of information to export and it wants to export to a clunky to use format.

It is important to me that any app I use does not hoard my data or export to a format that is difficult to use, like xml. KDE apps in the past did not easily export so data could be used in other applications. If I wanted to change applications, I would end up doing unending CTRL + C and CTRL + V to copy and paste my data into another program.

A great example of a well behaved application is ZIM Wiki. All the information I put into ZIM is of course displayed in Zim itself. However the information is stored in a folder in individual text files on the hard drive. If I ever wish to replace Zim, I can delete it, and all my information is safe and readable.

In general, if you like to tinker with your Desktop making big and small changes, KDE is the go-to Desktop. XFCE is one the most limited along with Mate, and can be boring. On to what I started this post for:

Distribution causes for concern:

Memory usage at Boot up, Menu Entries, Startup and Shutdown,  Snap

Debian 11.x:                     522588 MB         ~ 43 Menu Entries            Fast    No Snap by default

MX Linux 21.3:                522588 MB         ~ 123 Menu Entries!        Fast      No Snap by default

Endeavor OS 2021.04.1    525452 MB            ~ 47 Menu Entries       Fast     No Snap by default

Feren, Kubuntu, KDE Neon  660236 MB  ~ 55 Menu Entries  Both Pause during boot    Will add Snap

Kubuntu, Feren OS and KDE NEON are based on Ubuntu Linux, so memory usage, menu entries, Startup and Shutdown and Include Snap. Information should be about the same across the distro's. Very nice desktops though!

I listed the menu entries, but my counting skills are not the sharpest, so I may be off a few numbers either way. MX Linux as noted has more menu entries than any other two Distributions combined. I am not privy to details, but I think this comes from the Anti X side of MX Linux. Anti X has so many menu entries, even a seasoned user may get lost in the menu.

I am not sure why a distribution goes out of its way to stuff the menu with apps and options, but it happens. I am more in line with elementary OS and Zorin OS Linux, less is better. I would rather add fifteen packages than remove thirty or more packages and menu entries.

A few points to remember are:

Memory usage is not really an issue for newer computers unless you are a very heavy graphics applications user. Even memory starved computers (64 bit) can run (almost) any distribution, though the user may be happy with the outcome. (At least a few distributions these days check available memory and will not install on low memory machines.)

KDE is a tinkerers dream, and options seem endless. Cinnamon has enough desktop options to keep most users happy. XFCE is the most limited modifiable Desktop environment.
If you are trying out KDE, ensure your KDE applications have a usable export options - to .txt or some such. Ubuntu based distributions are all similar, so expect the same results from different flavors. KDE also favors the use of Snap packages from what I (unofficially) read.

Finally, without modifying Grub Menu, Grub does not know what to do with two Ubuntu Distributions, one of them may lose its Grub entry. Ubuntu does have a Grub entry modify app and there are other apps that replace grub.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boomer Really Looks at Gen Z, and Likes What He Sees

Inter-generational friction for me started with the Millennial's.  Lately it was focused on Gen Z. I am a Boomer. We Boomers dropped in ...